The thing I love about my emergency omelette is it's quick, easy and delicious, and can be prepared with nothing but a cutting board, a knife, a frypan, a bowl/mug and a working stove. And a spatula, of course.
This serves 2, or one very hungry person.
You will need:
1/2 Tbsp butter
1 onion, finely diced
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (ie 1 big glug)
1/2 capsicum, finely diced
4 field mushrooms, sliced
8 broccoli florettes
8 peeled and cooked prawns (if they are frozen, pour some cold water over them to thaw - most conneseurs will despair at the loss of flavour, but trust me, they wouldn't have had much to begin with)
1 Tbsp milk (a glug)
1 Tbsp sour cream (or however much you lever in with the knife)
2 handfuls grated cheese
- On a medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onions and allow to brown.
- Once onions are cooked through, add the balsamic vinegar. Allow to reduce, stirring all the while.
- Add the mushrooms. They wil release some liquid into the pan; cook until the liquid is evaporated.
- Add the capsicum and cook until it starts to soften.
- Add the broccoli and cook until bright green (about 2 minutes).
- Turn down the heat to low and add the prawns.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl. Mix in the milk and sour cream until vaugely homogenous.
- Pour the egg mixture over the prawn and vegetable mix.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Cook on a very low heat untilthere is only a tiny bit of runny egg left on top (don't stir it, or you'll end up with scrambled eggs!)
- Using either your griller or your oven. put the frying pan under a grilling heat source to cook the top of the omelette. Cook until just firm.
- Put a large plate over the top of the pan and invert to serve. Too easy!